With warm temperatures and summer around the corner, it is important to know what sunscreens are safe for your hair extensions. Some sunscreens have ingredients in them that cause Hair Extensions to turn an orange color.
The ingredients cited to be the biggest offenders are:
- Avobenzone (Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane) which is an oil-soluble ingredient used in sunscreen products to absorb the full spectrum of UVA rays.
- Octocrylene, which is added as a stabilizer as the Avobenzone degrades in light. Together they are found in differing quantities in sun protections.
- The Proof:
This color change, as seen above, is a chemical reaction. When these ingredients make contact with hair extensions and are exposed to UV light, it causes the cells to break down in a process known as Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS.) When the hair is then rinsed in water, the electron particles from the minerals in the water (Iron, Copper, Magnesium, Calcium, and Silica) attach to the hair cells creating a reaction and turning the hair an orange color.
SUMMER TIPS FOR HAIR EXTENSIONS
Taking care of your hair extensions in the summertime is vital. It is important to remember that Chlorine is not hair-friendly. When swimming in the pool or ocean, we recommend applying a leave-in conditioner mid to ends and putting your hair into a ponytail. We do not recommend braiding your hair when swimming, as it can cause tangles.
HAIR EXTENSION SAFE SUNSCREENS
- Bare Republic Mineral Sunscreen Lotion
- Sun Bum Mineral SPF 50 Sunscreen Lotion
- Coola Mineral Body Organic Sunscreen
HOW TO REMOVE ORANGE COLOR CAUSED BY SUNSCREEN (SALON PROFESSIONALS ONLY)
If you are experiencing this chemical reaction with your West Label Remy \ hair extensions, our amazing Quality Control Team has found a solution.
Disclaimer: This process should only be done by a Certified Salon Professional.
- Create a paste of baking soda and clarifying shampoo and shampoo the extensions 1 to 3 times.
- Apply Malibu CPR to the extensions and process under heat according to the instructions on the back.
- If any orange tones remain after the max processing time of 45 minutes, you can wash with a blue shampoo or do another round of Malibu CPR.
- Your extensions will be dry after this process, condition the ends with a moisturizing mask, and blow-dry with a good leave in conditioner.